Helping neighbors prepare
· Drinking water – minimum of 1 gallon person per day, suggest 3 gallons per person per day, more for pets(pet food, too)
· Warm, Dry work clothes – dress for the season (which, in the District, always includes snow). Ex. Heavy boots, gloves
· Non-perishable Food – think about a camping trip, at home or in your car, without power – Consider canned food, protein bars, etc.
· Sanitation items - serious health issue - Hand washing soap, toilet paper, paper towels, baby wipes, disposal of waste, others
· Flashlights - extra batteries - chem light sticks – Do not plan on using candles or lighting from open flame(fire and CO hazards)
· Communications - Portable Radio - battery powered w/extra batteries, 1600 & 1700 AM for official information, cell/sat/landline
· Medications, Eyeglasses, and First Aid supplies – include prescriptions, sunscreen, lip balm, OTC for pain, colds, cough, other
· Cash and important records – Cash, records, birth, marriage, medical, SSN, financial statements(most recent), cards, phone #s
· Tools and security items – hand tools, manual can opener, pocket knife or multi tool, others
There is a lot of information regarding preparedness and 72 hour kits available. Consider using www.Ready.gov as well as the American Red Cross as initial sources. Fine tune your preparedness based on your experiences. Build skills through additional training. Use your 72 Hour Kit in the event of any evacuation.
Our review of community and individual responses to major incidents and disasters (Katrina, others) points us to considering expanding our 72 hour kit recommendations by two or three fold…a 172 hour kit(which is a week plus 4 hours). During a significant emergency in our community, think earthquake, or prolonged utility outage, significant help from outside sources may take days to arrive. Prepare accordingly.(2006-10-10) www.gallatincountyfire.org
21 Local Fire Departments, 350 Fire Fighters
Fort Ellis, Bridger Canyon, Sourdough, Rae, Gallatin Gateway, Big Sky, Northside, West Yellowstone, Amsterdam, Central Valley, Belgrade, Bozeman, Manhattan, Manhattan District, Clarkston, Springhill Community, Three Forks, Three Forks District, Willow Creek, Sedan, County Fire